Burn Permits logo

Fort Calhoun Fire/Rescue Burn Permits

Apply for your online permit today.

Nebraska Regulations for Open Burning

Permits to burn outdoor waste, such as tree limbs, brush, etc.

The Nebraska state law states:
In accordance with State Statute 81-520.01 (1) There shall be a statewide open burning ban on all bonfires, outdoor rubbish fires, and fires for the purpose of clearing land.

Before any open burning is done, a permit must be obtained from the local fire chief or his/her designee on a form prescribed by the State Fire Marshal.

What this means is that if you desire to open burn, you MUST obtain a permit in advance and have it on your person when you are conducting the burn. 

Don't forget to call!

Telephone: (402) 415-2143

No Burning Within the City of Fort Calhoun

Frequently Asked Questions

Who can obtain a burn permit?

Only residents living in approved areas can obtain a permit. Permits are conditional and may be revoked at any time.

How can I obtain a burn permit?

You may register online using this website, or you can visit us in person.

What can I burn?

Please only burn wood, wood by-products (cardboard, paper etc.) or leaves.

Do I need a permit?

If you want to have an open-air fire (bonfire, fire pit etc.) then yes, you need an approved permit. If you are having a barbecue a permit is not required.

What phone numbers do I call after I get a burn permit?

You must call 402-415-2143 to activate your permit as well as 402-426-6866 to notify the Washington County Sheriff that you have a valid permit before you burn.